Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Why I Celebrate Ash Wednesday

Today, Christians everywhere were once again receiving the mark of the cross on their forehead, a sign that they were born from the dust and to dust they one day will return. While originally a Catholic ritual that marked the beginning of the Lent season till Good Friday and Easter, many Protestant denominations have adopted and adapted Ash Wednesday as well.

I too received my ashes and offered the mark of the cross for the hospital staff today. One person, not completely aware of what Ash Wednesday is, asked me personally, "Why do you celebrate Ash Wednesday?"

As with any great and deep question, I took a moment to ponder what was asked of me and I now share that same question for you (if you celebrate Ash Wednesday of course).

Why do you celebrate Ash Wednesday? Why do you offer your forehead to be marked with ash in the sign of the cross? 

I feel often times that holiday celebrations, be it religious or institutional holidays, involve or include some sort of gift or reward. Even today, a staff member asked me, "What do I get out of this?"when I offered her ashes.

For Christmas, we give and receive gifts from family and friends. For Easter, we remember God's Son victory over death while also eating Easter egg candy and chocolates.

But today, the gift that is given is a symbol, covered in ash and placed on our forehead. A symbol of God's closeness even when we, humanity, are far away. Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent reminds us that we are not perfect and make mistakes, but we are still loved and can always grow. This holiday reminds us that we are not alone on our spiritual lives, but God is wanting to take a closer walk with us, if we invite God in.

This is why I celebrate Ash Wednesday. Because I am not perfect. I make mistakes. And I often try to do things without God. Yes, even Ministers do God's work while sometimes forgetting to bring God with us! So I need this reminder in my life. I need the Cross on my forehead to remember that I live with the Spirit of God, not just from the Spirit of God.

The mark upon my forehead is not just a convenient spot either. The forehead is the place in our bodies that we store all our thoughts and insights. However, our thoughts can often go all over the place and without focus, can wander into the wilderness. By placing the ashes on our foreheads, we are centering our wandering thoughts to remember that God is still here with us. God is journeying with us and we are not alone.

This is why I celebrate Ash Wednesday and will continue to celebrate it for the rest of my life.

So as we continue to celebrate Ash Wednesday and begin this season of Lent together, may you remember that God lives within you, as close as your very breath. May you invite the Divine of your understanding into your spiritual journey, knowing you don't have to be perfect in order for God to be with you. Just loved for who you are, a beautiful and fearfully made child of God.

May you each be blessed today and the days to come.

Blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment